Re: Irredeemably tainted words.

Brian D Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:03:37 -0500

At 10:45 AM 2/12/97 -0500, Loren wrote:

>Steve Jones wrote:
>
>>LH>But Steve's essay, and Jim's concurrence, on how the word
>>>"evolution" is tainted beyond redemption got me wondering. Why
>>>stop there? What other words are so tainted that we should stop
>>>fighting to redeem them from anti-theistic metaphysical baggage,
>>>and simply eschew their use?
>
>SJ>This is a favourite tactic of debaters. Confuse the issue by
>>bringing in additional cases.

Loren:==
>Nope, my point is that they are all the *same* case. They are different
>in degree, not in kind. The terms mechanics, law, chance, behavior,
>conditioning, logic, evidence, and evolution all have useful technical
>meanings in several branches of science. (In the case of evolution, in
>astronomy and engineering as well as biology.) Also, each of these
>terms has been loaded with metaphysical baggage by some people to
>justify anti-theistic positions. The term "evolution" may have the
>lion's share of such nonsense right now, but that just means we have to
>work harder. If I read my history right, some of those other terms were
>giving "evolution" a real run for the money in previous decades.

I would tend to agree that for the average person "evolution" carries
more metaphysical baggage than the other words mentioned. However,
I think I can also make a strong case that "mechanistic" plays a
more important role in the popular writings of the most prominant
anti-theists. For example, in reading Dawkins, Dennett or PW Atkins
one can see straight away that it is not evolution itself but
mechanistic evolution that is keyed in on. Awhile back I showed
how Dawkins gave a horribly out of context quote of Polkinghorne.
Looking at the context one sees that Polkinghorne is an evolutionist
but that he is supporting a non-mechanistic view of evolution. If
I am allowed to read between the lines it seems to me that Dawkins
attempts to discredit Polkinghorne because he rejects the mechanistic
view of evolution.

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics