Re: 1. Who is ignoring things? 2. apology (was Who is ignoring things?)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Mon, 10 Feb 97 05:58:34 +0800

Group

On Thu, 09 Jan 1997 00:05:30, Glenn Morton wrote:

[...]

SJ>Glenn also ignores my posts which indicate that Marshack is not
>now claiming that the "golan Venus" is the first example of art.
>He is now claiming that for an etching dated only 54 kya,000-year
>old, from Quneitra, Israel (see "Early Etchings", Discover, Vol.
>17, No. 7, July 1996, p26)

>and...

>SJ>As I pointed out, even Marshack seems to have recently given up
>on the Golan Venus. Here is the whole brief article again:
>>[discover article snipped]
>
>Fron Glenn there has been an "overwhelming silence" about this. He
>seems to be in denial mode. :-)

GM>As I mentioned I had responded to this several times before but I
>weary of responding over and over to the same point only to have
>him say I ignore him. That tactic is unbecoming.

No. Glenn has not addressed the key point why Marshack, who
previously claimed that a 330 kya `figurine' was the earliest
evidence of art, is now cliaming that a 54 kya is.

>[...]
>
>GM>I wrote in response to Stephen (go look at it in the archives):
>
>I do not have the Discover that you speak of but from what you
>write, Marshack didn't even mention the Berekhat Ram figurine.
>How can a lack of mention be considered his most recent thought on
>the issue?

That is *exactly* my point: "Marshack didn't even mention the
Berekhat Ram figurine"! Why?

GM>This is a response and thus I did not ignore him...One is not
>required to agree in order to 'not ignore him'

It does "ignore" if the "response" does not address the central
point.

GM>I find this type of sophistry below the level at which a
>Believer should argue. This is rude and discourteous.

I note Glenn's repeated attempts to `shoot the messenger' by
portraying those believers who disagree with him as somehow
sub-Christian. I will not repay Glenn in kind (Rom 12:17)

Group

On Thu, 09 Jan 1997 22:55:16, Glenn Morton wrote Re: apology:

[...]

GM>This apology should not be construed as a capitulation on forms of
>argument in which one thing is said publically and something else is
>said privately.

This is no doubt referring to me. For the record, I have not said
"one thing...publically and something else...privately. I have
not sent anything personally private to him for a long time, apart
fro recently wishing him a happy 25th wedding anniversary.

The only other posts that I have sent to him "privately" are those
messages I send to him and others directly to save traffic on the
Reflector. These posts all start with a statement that it is a
public message that could be replied to cc. the Refector.

The post concerned was probably the "Stephens Inconsistent boat"
one. If that is the case, see my recent response where I have
included both messages and it can be seen that I have been consistent
in agreeing that H. erectus used "water transport", eg. a "raft" or
"dugout log", but not a "boat" (as that word is usually understood).

But in case Glenn means something else, I hereby give Glenn my
permission to post my `private' message to him alongside the public
message he is referring to. Then Reflectorites can judge for
themselves.

GM>Nor should it be viewed as an endorsement of sneering,
>condescending comments followed by smiley faces.

Again if this is me, I had no idea until this batch of posts that
anyone objected to my "smileys'. They are meant sincerely to try to
take the heat out what a say. This is standard Internet practice.
But it appears Glenn (and perhaps Brian) perceives them as "sneering"
and "condescending". I can't really help that perception, but I will
re-examine my heart to see if I am unconsciously reacting to Glenn in
this way.

But on reflection, I probably use smileys too much and I don't vary
them enough. I will start using them more sparingly and vary them.

I thank Glenn for this valuable feedback.

[...]

God bless.

| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 9 448 7439 (These are |