Re: My view of Genesis

Marcio R. Pie (piecio@obelix.unicamp.br)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 06:52:00 -0300 (BSC)

Hi Travis! I found your hypothesis very interesting. I have discussed
some of my opinions below:

At 14:18 27/01/97 -0500, Travis E. Doane wrote:

>The Hebrew scriptures say that "Adam" was created in His image

In hebrew "Adam" means also humanity. This could give some
more interesting hints.

> The two first sons of Adam and Eve were Cain and Abel. Abel kept
>livestock, but Cain "worked the ground" which could indicate that he was
>a "gatherer." When Cain killed Abel, the knowledge of keeping livestock
>was lost for several thousand years and mankind was forced into
>hunting/gathering lifestyles for the next few centuries.

I think that this is a weak point in your idea. Why would Abel alone
know
how to keep livestock? Adam could have seen Abel techniques and applied
them, or teach them to one of his children.

> The genealogies of Seth and Cain are incomplete. The word "begat"
>may also mean "became the ancestor of." It is also possible that
>throughout early human history God selected some individuals to live a
>very long time to accomplish some task(s) that God appointed for them. If
>this is true, then it is only these special, long-living individuals who
>are recorded in the genealogies.

I do not see biblical basis for such a conclusion. I

Well, I really enjoyed reading your ideas. My point, as I have
written a few days
ago, the explanation for the Fall is missing. It is one of the most
fundamental concepts
of the traditional theology and I think we should seek an plausible
explanation of it.

God bless

Marcio Roberto Pie
Departamento de Zoologia