Re: Bombardier Beetles [was Re: Problem mail

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Sat, 01 Feb 1997 10:15:08 -0600

At 08:35 PM 1/31/97 -0500, Brian Harper wrote:

>>>Now let me turn to another question. What recourse do we have when
>>>an un moderated group is abused in this fashion? Of course, there may
>>>be some or even many who don't view this as an abuse. To check out
>>>how people feel I'd like to conduct a little straw poll. Send me a private
>>>e-mail giving your opinion on whether Steve [Jones] is abusing the group

>In view of concerns expressed to me privately I want to clarify
>another point. I obviously cannot speak for everyone who is
>concerned about the mail bomber but I can say that I have
>absolutely no intention of trying to drive Steve off the group with
>this. I think this would be very deleterious to this group. My
>hope was that if there is some type of consensus, especially
>among lurkers or others who Steve would not consider an
>adversary, then perhaps Steve would change his practice voluntarily.
>If he chooses not to, that's fine. He can continue on his merry
>way.
>
>Brian Harper

Brian,

I appreciate your sensitivity to the various positions that reflectorites
may take regarding the way that Steve Jones uses this forum. As I have
stated, I personally do not appreciate the way he has decided to contribute.
I see two alternatives to your question. The first is that Steve
voluntarily cease his sporadic, but inclusive contributions. He would
obviously be welcome to make timely posts on a limited set of discussions.
If this doesn't happen, then I suggest that the regular contributors to this
forum ignore his posts. A couple of us have already decided to do this and
I hope that Steve will honor our requests.
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432