Re: Bombardier Beetles [was Re: Problem mail

Brian D. Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:35:15 -0500

At 10:43 PM 1/30/97 -0500, I wrote:

[...]

>Now let me turn to another question. What recourse do we have when
>an un moderated group is abused in this fashion? Of course, there may
>be some or even many who don't view this as an abuse. To check out
>how people feel I'd like to conduct a little straw poll. Send me a private
>e-mail giving your opinion on whether Steve is abusing the group with
>this policy. No need to give your reasons, a simple yes or no will do.
>I am particularly interested in hearing what lurkers think about this.
>All replies will be held in confidence, though I will post the overall
>results back to the group.

It was indicated to me privately that a better approach might be
to give the results to Steve privately rather posting them to
the group. I agree, so that is what I plan to do. I guess public
hangings are no longer politically correct :). Actually, its not
too clear whether the vote will come out as I anticipated.
Right now its split 50/50, but the sample size is rather
small {2} :).

also, in giving the following excerpt:

>The group will be self-policing with respect to propriety of
>discussion topics and the spirit in which discussions are
>conducted. Only in extreme cases will the list manager step in.

I did not mean to imply in any way that the list manager should
step in in this case. I believe in the present case that this would
only make matters worse.

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics