Re: irreducible complexity & Economic irreducible complexity

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:38:26 -0600

Stephen,

I respectively request that if you choose to not respond to individual posts
and in a timely fashion, that you do not respond to my posts. To be fair,
I'll refrain from responding to any of your tomes.

At 08:09 PM 1/30/97 +0800, you wrote:
>Group
>
>On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:03:31 -0600, Steve Clark wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>SC>...Behe's model, however, does not seem to account for the
>>possibility that a mousetrap could evolve from something that
>>originally did not function as a mouse trap, which seems more
>>congruent with a macroevolution scenario.
>
>>SJ>Actually Mike *does* deal with this: "Even if a system is
>>irreducibly complex (and thus cannot have been produced directly),
>>however, one can not definitively rule out the possibility of an
>>indirect, circuitous route. As the complexity of an interacting
>>system increases, though, the likelihood of such an indirect route
>>drops precipitously.
>
>>SC>What does this mean? Most people would recognize that complexity
>>provides a daunting challenge to evolution. Darwin recognized this
>>in the eye. But this is a problem for ANY model that attempts to
>>explain the origin of complex structures. Besides, the "indirect"
>>route isn't a necessary alternative to the gradual fine tuning of
>>some functionally irreducible structure that Behe seems to favor.
>>If evolutionary changes are not constrained by the requirement to
>>gradually make a better mousetrap, then large changes in
>>function--to say a catapult, can be arise from relatively small
>>changes in structure. This is not "circuitous." In fact,
>>significant changes could arise quickly rather than gradually if the
>>constraint on function is minimized.
>
>This is what Behe would no doubt call a "Calvin and Hobbes"
>story. Try it on the blood-clotting cascade and win a Nobel
>prize! :-) Behe would simply ask, "how exactly" would such
>"significant changes...arise quickly rather than gradually if the
>constraint on function is minimized":
>
>"Intriguing as this scenario may sound, though, critical details are
>overlooked. The question we must ask of this indirect scenario is one for
>which many evolutionary biologists have little patience: but how exactly?"
>(Behe M.J., "Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to
>Evolution", Free Press: New York, 1996, p66)
>
>SJ>And as the number of unexplained irreducibly complex biological
>>systems increases, our confidence that Darwin's criterion of failure
>>has been met skyrockets toward the maximum that science allows."
>
>>SC>This is the crux of the debate. Some people cannot imagine how
>>complexity could arise through naturalistic means, even if there is
>>an intelligent force behind the process (e.g., ECism).
>
>If there is (in any realsense) "an intelligent force behind
>the process", then it is not solely "through naturalistic means".
>
>SC>Other people can imagine it, and others simply say that Behe's
>>criticism does not provide a sufficient basis for rejecting the
>evolution model. My position is the latter.
>
>OK. If you "can imagine it", namely any *one* of Behe's claimed
>irreduciably complex systems, how about posting it? :-)

> [...]
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432