Re: Polystrate trees

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:10:43 -0600

At 03:34 PM 1/29/97, Randy Landrum wrote:

>As I stated earlier this is not at all an unusual phemomenon, but is quite
>common. N.A. Rupke, of Princeton, has given numerous examples.
>
>N.A. Rupke, "Prolegomena to a Study of Cataclysmal Sedimentation,"
>Quarterly of the Creation REsearch Society, Vol. 3. (May 1966), pp. 16-37
>
>Also try F.M. Broadhurst, "Some Aspects of the Paleoecology of Non-Marine
>Faunas and Rates of Sedimentation in the Lancashire Coal Measures,"
>American Journal of Science, Vol 262 p.865

Thanks for the references. I have ordered the first last week. I will
order the second. I would say that this "phenomenon" is not as common as
you think. I have spent the past couple of weeks chasing down references
for various claims that a tree goes through more than 2 coal seams. So far
all I have found are a few cases where a tree goes through one coal seam and
is truncated by the next.

Humphries claimed that trees went through 20 different horizons but when I
checked his reference, it said that there were 20 different layers with
trees attached over a 2500 foot interval. This is quite a misunderstanding
on the part of Humphries.

A question, have you PERSONALLY seen a tree going through several coal seams?

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood