Re: Polystrate trees

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 18:26:30

Art Chadwick wrote:

> In Australia there is
>a seam reported to be 750 meters thick, which I believe is in a synclinal
>structure, and thus may well represent tectonic thickening.

Art, I simply have to have the reference for this. This would be the thickest
coal I have ever heard of. At a 6-1 compression factor 750 m would require
4500 m of plant material. This is 14,760 feet.

As to the 120 to one compression that I cited earlier, I think I know why that
value is so large. Bacterial decomposition destroys most of the organic
matter in peat bogs today. I would not be surprised if such a ratio would be
needed IF the coals are formed as most geologists say. Since the material
would be processed over a long time, no one would ever see a pile of plant
matter several thousand feet tall.

However, IF the coals are formed in a global catastrophe, then the smaller
compression ratio would apply since one could rule out significant bacterial
decay times.

Does this sound reasonable?

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood