Re: News (not good) for Glenn

Brian D. Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 17:05:44 -0500

At 12:24 PM 1/24/97 EST, Jim Bell wrote:

>"Civilizations"? Please give me some examples such "civilizations" (you are
>using that term advisedly, I would guess, as careful as you are, except when
>it comes to Warner Bros. characters). You wouldn't be committing Glenn's
>tribal error here, would you?

Let me try again. At first I did not reply to this since I had no idea
what this error was. I looked it up in another of your posts:

Sounds like you're mixing apples and oranges by confusing tribe with species.
(This mistake would get you an F on an anthropology exam.) Are the Azilians a
people, or a distinct species? First tell me who and when and where about
them. Are you saying they are or are not homo sapien? --JB

Let me see if I understand your point. First we suppose that we
have agreed on a criteria for "human" (correct me if I'm wrong,
but I'm assuming human means made in the image of God,
a body-soul-spirit being). Now we take this criteria and apply
it to modern man. The criteria is satisfied, we take modern man
to be human. Tribesmen (whoever they might be) belong to the
same species as modern man, therefore they also are human.

Is this how it goes?

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics