Re: Random [and the Baconian Compromise]

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:11:52 -0600

At 12:08 PM 1/21/97 EST, Jim wrote:
>Steve Clark writes:
>
><<It is really not necessary that you believe me. That is why I posted
>several references. I also qualified my response here as being brief rather
>than point-by-point, which was turning into a major project. If you want
>the primary sources for the Baconian Compromise, I invite you to check the
>sources I cited and then go back to Bacon's writings to see if the authors
>of these "secondary sources" accurately reflect Bacon's position. This
>would be much more productive than the grousing.>>
>
>For one who is concerned about "context," this is an astounding passage. My
>study of Bacon and the sections I cited were relevant to a single issue, an
>appreciation of hypothesis, and fit within the context of his entire thought.
>You disgreed with me, but then I found the Durant passage. It backed me up
>fully.

Here, I suppose, you refer to the Durant passage which stated that Bacon had
"an explicit, though perhaps inadequate, recognition of that need for
hypothesis, experiment and deduction which some of Bacon's critics suppose
him to have entirely overlooked."

>Thus, your protestations about my method are unpersuasive. I'll stick with
>Durant.

Do you also stick with Durant's claims of "inadequate" and "contradictory?"
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432