Re: Reply to James

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 14:37:59

Randy wrote:

>How about coal formed from tree bark? Ever look at coal? To me it looks
>just like tree bark. What if there really was a flood and all the trees of
>the entire earth at that time floated bumped together removing all the
>bark which sank and formed coal? I know it sounds farfetched but would it
>be possible?

The internal structure of coal is not that of trees or tree bark. It is
structureless. If you want the coal to have been formed during the global
flood, explain this problem.

"Assuming that 10 feet of plant remains form one foot of peat
and that a 12 foot deposit of peat is required to make a layer of
coal one foot thick, then a 50 foot seam represents the
continuous growth of forests in one site equivalent to deposits
of plant remains 6,000 feet thick. In coal measures containing
several thick seams, such accumulations must have been repeated
many times in the same location."~Wilfred Francis, Coal: Its
Formation and Composition, (London: Edward Arnold, Ltd., 1961),
p. 15

Using this figure combined with the following presents a problem.

"The exploitation in the Chelyabinsk region, where the productive
measures are 1500 m thick and contain 5-30 seams of 50-200 m
total thickness, is the most intensive."~D. V. Nalivkin, Geology
of the U. S. S. R., translated by N. Rast, (Toronto: Toronto
University Press, 1973), p. 376

Let's see, 200 meters times 120 means that you had to have 24,000 meters or
78,000 feet of tree back piled up so that it can be crushed to form the coal
beds of Chelybinsk. Where can one get that much tree bark?

Knowlton says(~F. H. Knowlton, The Jurassic Flora of Cape
Lisburne, Alaska, Part D, USGS Professional Paper 85D,
(Washington: Gov't Printing Office, 1914, p. 40.) that there are 150 feet of
total coal thickness in the Lisburne region of Alaska. This requires 18,000
feet of tree bark.

One single russian coal seam is 75 meter thick. This is 9,000 meters or nearly
30,000 feet of treebark.

Was the world before the flood nothing but tree bark?

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm