Re: Glenn's history

Jim Bell (70672.1241@CompuServe.COM)
14 Jan 97 12:50:22 EST

Randy, you wrote:

<<On 13 Jan 1997, Jim Bell wrote:

> <<In other words, if Christians had been a little more tolerant, the whole
> thing might not have blown up in their face.>>

Just to keep it all clear, that is what Glenn wrote, not I. I was merely
quoting him in my post.

<<TOLERANT!!!! TOLERANT!! Ok you guys hit my hot spot! Tolerance allows the
Hitlers of the world to succeed! As christians are we supposed to keep
silent as the world to goes to hell? Maybe if Christ was a little
more tolerant he would not have had to die on the cross. Yea that is what
the world needs for christians to be a little more tolerant! Ever hear of
the great commission? Go ye therefore and be tolerant!>>

I'm basically with you, Randy. Christians are called to be salt and light in
the world. Christians are commanded, in fact, to HATE what is evil. No
tolerance there. No compromise.

Glenn's point, however, needs to be heeded somewhat. The MEANS by which
Christians confront evil and untruth must ever be guided by wisdom. When Paul
spoke on Mars Hill, he did not begin by calling these pagans a bunch of evil
doing, hell-bent hedonists (which is what they were). Rather, he found common
ground with them--"I see by your idols you are very religious"--and proceeded
to reason with them.

There is a time for a "no prisoners" approach, however. Part of being wise is
knowing when to use the one instead of the other.

Jim