Re: Recent Man

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 22:07:24

Jim wrote:

> If it can
>be shown that Homo erectus lived at the same time as modern man, Homo
>erectus may be no more than racial variants of Homo sapiens.

WELCOME TO MY SIDE JIM!!!! This is EXACTLY what I have been arguing for over
the past two and a half years. H.erectus engaged in quite a lot of human
behavior not only 27,000 years ago, but 1.8 million years ago.

So it appears that you will now accept evidence for humanity of this very
different form of human (he did not have a chin) IF it does not imply
evolution. But you think this solves your problem. It doesn't. If H.erectus
was human and H. erectus lived from 1.8 million years ago till 27,000 years
ago, when did Adam live? The fact that H.erectus made the Golan Venus, a
naked lady figurine 300,000 years ago now must certainly be a possibility in
your mind because H.erectus is merely a variant of homo sapiens.
H.erectus made huts, paved areas in his village at Bilzingsleben, used tools
to work wood (including one polished wooden plank), mastered fire, probably
built boats, and may have made clothing. His birth and growth patterns were
like ours; he had Broca's area which controls speech and is found in no other
animal. His brain like ours was asymmetrical. Like us he was predominantly
right handed.

It is nice for us to have agreement for once.

>>From Maclean's magazine (Canada's weekly newsmagazine):
>
>>That would place him [Java Man] in the era of modern humans---and argue
>>against >an ancestral relationship."If these dates are right," said Philip
>>Rightmire, an >anthropologist at the State University of New York at
>>Binghamton, "the >multiregionalists will have to do some fast thinking."

It does not rule out an ancestral relationship. Remember, according to your
new view H. erectus is a racial variant of Homo sapiens. This means that they
can interbreed with us. What this discovery rules out is the
multiregional view of evolution which holds that mankind all over the world
evolved into modern man from all the ancient local populations. If H.erectus
was able to interbreed with H.sapiens, then they could be in the ancestry of
modern populations. It is the similarity between certain features in
H.erectus skulls and Australian aboriginal skulls which was the best evidence
for multiregionality. But if there was interbreeding 27,000 years ago, then
the same features can be explained by that means.
(see James R. Shreeve, The Neandertal Enigma, (New York: William
Morrow and Co., 1995), p. 100)

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm