Re: pure chance

Brian D. Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:11:16 -0500

At 12:45 PM 12/11/96 -0800, Arthur wrote:

> [I'm very interested in the Kauffman
>>stuff, which I understand only on a surface level. How is complexity theory
>>viewed in the scientific community at large? Is it still too new to have a
>>strong opinion about?]
>
>For a studied and informed opinion about Kauffman, and design by chaos in
>general see the interview with Schutzenberger in the latest issue of Origins
>and Design. You can purchase it or subscribe or see it at

Thanks for mentioning this Art. This interview with Schutzenberger
was great. On page 30 of the same issue there is a review of
Kauffman's <At Home in the Universe> by Dembski.

Back to Schutzenberger, he raises some valid criticisms of complexology,
some that I have raised here myself. One insightful criticism is that
some seek to study complexity by looking at systems that are really
simple. I was pleased to see that Per Bak in his new book on self-
organized criticality makes an effort of weeding out some of these
topics from the list of examples of complex systems. In particular
I was very happy to see that he agrees with me that deterministic
chaotic systems are not complex.

Reading back over the Schutzenberger interview reminded me of a
question I had. In a discussion of Dawkins methinksitislikeaweasel
word game he said:

This demonstration is a trompe-l'oeil, and what is more,
Dawkins doesn't describe precisely how it proceeds. At the
beginning of the exercise, randomly generated phrases
appear rapidly to approach the target; the closer the
approach, the more the process begins to slow. It is the
action of mutations in the wrong direction that pulls
things backward. In fact, a simple argument shows that
unless the numerical parameters are chosen deliberately,
the progression begins to bog down completely.
-- Schutzenberger interview

Does anyone know what this simple argument is and which
numerical parameters must be chosen deliberately? The
last is particularly interesting since it is analogous to
fine-tuning. What would be really interesting is to write
a program for the word game, leaving these parameters to
be specified at run time so one can observe the effects.
Actually, I have a copy of this program but it is written in
C and I'm too old to be learning a new language :). I also
have uuencoded version which can be sent by e-mail if
anyone wants a copy. You have to be able to un encode it
of course.

Brian Harper | "If you don't understand
Associate Professor | something and want to
Applied Mechanics | sound profound, use the
The Ohio State University | word 'entropy'"
| -- Morrowitz
Bastion for the naturalistic |
rulers of science |