Re: Anthropic principle

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 11 Dec 96 22:25:55 +0800

Gordie

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:03:02 -0500 (EST), Gordon Simons wrote:

BH>..The reason I say the above is naive is that it assumes one can
>change one aspect of a design keeping everything else the same.

This is a curious argument. Surely the point is that in an
undirected universe, there must be many more ways to go wrong and
very few ways to go right?

GS>Steven Clark wrote:

SC>I have heard a similar argument used against the anthropic
>principle. For instance, someone invoking the AP might state
>something like, "If subatomic forces were just a fraction different,
>the universe would consist of nothing but helium atoms." The
>criticism is that if this force were changed, why assume that all
>other constants would remain the same?

[...]

GS>These are valid counterarguments against anyone who is using the
>fine-tuning argument to PROVE intelligent design in the early
>universe. While there might be such folks, I view this as knocking
>down a straw man. Suppose we posit that no argument is going to
>PROVE the existence of God. Then what should a Christian be looking
>for in nature to add apologetic strength to his/her faith? I would
>argue that these fine-tuning arguments actually do an excellent job
>of lending apologetic strength.

Agreed. Some Christian academics seem to think that the least
evidence for Christianity, the better! :-) Lay lesser mortals (like
myself) find the fine-tuning arguments marshalled by Hugh Ross and
others as compelling.

GS>Let me explain:
>
>Yes, it could be that other fine-tuning-combinations of "constants
>of nature" would make life possible. Yes, possible. But,
>presently, we have not a single shred of evidence supporting this
>possibility. Instead, what we do see clearly is that small
>perturbations cause big problems for life. While not a proof (which
>Christians should not really be looking for), this ("fine-tuning")
>does provide a strong apologetic argument for intelligent design at
>our present level of knowledge. What more should we ask for?

Again, agreed. These fine-tuning arguments are some of our best
apologetic arguments in this secular age, and I find theists
down-playing them a bit puzzling. Gingerich says that Hoyle's faith
in atheism was shaken by discovering that carbon is abundant
only because of a peculiar set of nuclear circumstances :

"I am told that Fred Hoyle, who together with Willy Fowler found
this remarkable nuclear arrangement, has said that nothing has shaken
his atheism as much as this discovery. Occasionally Fred Hoyle and I
have sat down to discuss one or another astronomical or historical
point, but I never had enough nerve to ask him if his atheism had
really been shaken by finding the nuclear resonance structure of
carbon and oxygen. However, the answer came rather clearly in the
November 1981 issue of the Cal Tech alumni magazine, where he