Re: Music of the Ages 1/2

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 11 Dec 96 22:19:31 +0800

Group

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:19:13, Glenn Morton wrote:

GM>I can't possibly reply to all your long post but I will choose a
>couple of items. I will respond where I think you made factual
>errors. Unfortunately, I found most of your comments to be of a
>non-factual nature merely designed to try to disagree with anything
>I said.

Glenn seems to be setting himself up as the standard of what is
"factual" and therefore anyone who disagrees with or questions what
he posts is automatically making "comments...of a non-factual
nature"! On this basis anyone who does not accept as "factual" that
Adam was a Homo habilis who lived 5.5 million years ago, is
automatically relegated to the realm of the "non-factual".

Actually I agree with Glenn on a lot of things, but the Reflector
exists mainly to debate the things we don't agree on. I try to
follow the Biblical injunction to "Test everything. Hold on to the
good" (1Th 5:21). I am a natural-born sceptic - my favourite apostle
is doubting Thomas! :-) I appreciate the wealth of information that
Glenn shares with us, but he also makes a lot of assertions and
criticisms of others, and therefore he should not expect to go
unchallenged.

GM>You wrote:

SJ>Firstly, "the bone flute" and "bone whistles" are one and the
>same.

GM>No they are not. The whistles are made from reindeer phanges, the
>flutes are made from leg bones of bird and bear. The phalange
>whistles have one hole drilled through a solid bone. The flutes
>have a hole drilled through one side of a HOLLOW bone. The whistle
>makes a single pitched sound. The multi-holed flutes make many
>notes. Some unbroken ones have been found and played.

I would appreciate more details about this. I seem to remember Glenn
being questioned by a musician on the Reflector, and from memory
Glenn could not confirm that these so-called "flutes" could be
played. How many holes do they have and what sort of tune can they
play? If it is no more than a two-tone whistle, then it may simply be
a bird decoy used for hunting and not art.

GM>[big snip]

SJ>These more recent finds, well within the "young-Adam" range, sound
>more like true musical instruments, as opposed to the earlier
>whistles.

GM>The earliest musical instrument is a multi-hole flute from Haua
>Fteah Lybia dating from 80-100 thousand years ago IT IS NOT A
>WHISTLE.

Glenn's actual quote says it is "multiple pitch whistle":