Re: Economic irreducible complexity

Jim Bell (70672.1241@CompuServe.COM)
28 Nov 96 10:51:17 EST

I wrote:

>There were lots of them. Most of them now forgotten, but they forged the
>philosophy that allowed the economy to develop as it has. You can read
>Weaver's book for more.

Glenn replied:

<<Wow, this is news to me. The Romans had no economy. I wonder why
historians
think they had an economy? The Sumerians must not have had an economy either
since one of the main designers of the economy lived after they did.>>

I THINK Glenn is employing sarcasm here, though of late it's hard to tell.;-)

I have no idea, though, why he's huffing about Romans and Sumerians. Of
course, they were all unintelligent, too, and had no idea about economic
concepts, like trading and the like (sarcasm alert).

The point is not that these guys had no economy. But OUR economy is not Roman
or Sumerian. It was not designed to be.

Jim