Re: economic irreducible complexity

Bill Hamilton (whamilto@mich.com)
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 09:30:47 -0500

At 12:01 AM 11/28/96, Glenn Morton wrote:

>I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I believe that God is a good enough
>designer to design a system that required little tinkering with after wards.

I could agree with this so long as _required_ is emphasized. I do believe
God is actively overseeing everything that goes on in the world, and is
actively engaged with whatever processes in nature or society He chooses to
be engaged with. But His activity is that of directing a finely tuned,
robust machine (nature) to achieve His objectives, not patching it up so it
will keep working.

>This view makes God at least as good as a GM engineer.

I hope He's many orders of magnitude better.

>Would you be pleased
>with the design of your car if a GM engineer had to live under your hood
>constantly tinkering as you drove?

Hmm, I wonder where this leaves the automated highway systems a consortium
of companies including GM is experimenting with in California :-).

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
1346 W. Fairview Lane
Rochester, MI 48306