re: economic irreducible complexity

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 13:12:27 -0500

Brian wrote in response to Chuck Warman's critique of Glenn's post:

>True, there are intelligent agents, but they are part of the system itself.
>There is no intelligent input from outside the system, as would be needed
>to make the analogy with PC.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that we cannot establish that there is
(or is not) any intelligent input from outside the system?

>Also, the intelligent agents are not generally
>interested in the global dynamics of the system but rather localized effects
>(e.g. personal profit).

which, as some folks at the Santa Fe Institute have pointed out (was it
Chris Langton who did the bird flocking simulation?) can lead to behavior
that seems amazingly coordinated.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr, Ph.D. | Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems | General Motors R&D Center | Warren, MI
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX) | whamilto@mich.com (home email)