Re: Economic irreducible complexity

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:40:17

I waited until Brian had replied to Jim's post.

Jim Bell wrote:

>Actually, I think Glenn has described a theistic evolutionary model here.What
>happened with our economy is that it was designed to develop upward. See,
>e.g., Henry Grady Weaver, "The Mainspring of Human Progress."

You say the economy is designed. Is Henry Grady Weaver the designer of the
economy? If he is not the economic designer, please tell me who is.

>Here is where Glenn's analogy breaks down. Take away one part of the system,
>and it will figure out a new way around it. It is not "irreducibly complex"
>in the way biological systems are.

See my reply to Gordie tonight. It depends upon the rapidity with which
something is removed. All biological examples of irreducible complexity remove
the examined part, instantaneously giving the biological being no time to
adapt.

>Still, Glenn's illustration is in line with a Van Tillian "gapless
>developmental economy" point of view (TE). And, in the economic realm, it
>works.
>
>In the biological realm? Sure it could. God could design such a system. Did
>he? Ah, there's the rub.

I think this is a first, Jim. At least you now admit that God COULD have
designed such a system. We are making progress, sloooowwww
ppprrrooogggrrreeessssss. :-)

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm