Re: Fw: the evolution of mousetraps

Chuck Warman (cwarman@wf.net)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 11:31:59 -0600

At 09:11 PM 11/22/96, Glenn Morton wrote:

>In order to prove that design case, one must prove that simpler systems
>are not able to perform the task and that there is NO pathway to the current
>system state from simpler system states. In the case of the mousetrap or
>Paley's watch, we are forced to conclude human design and manufacture
because
>there is no pathway to the fully developed state. Why? Because moustraps
and
>watches don't reproduce!!! This simple fact rules out all possible
pathways to
>the mousetrap system state EXCEPT for human design and manufacture. If
>mousetraps are granted reproduction, there is a pathway, Rube Goldberg-ish
as
>it is.

Excuse me for butting in after months of semi-retirement, but...

Glenn, you appear to be arguing that if evolution *could have* occurred,
then it *did* occur. I don't that's going to convince many YEC's, either.

Also, IMO your mousetrap post illustrates perfectly Popperian
unfalsifiability. If evolution could produce a mousetrap, even granting the
ability to reproduce, then evolution can do *anything*!

Chuck

Chuck Warman <cwarman@wf.net>
"The abdication of Belief / makes the Behavior small."
----Emily Dickinson