Re: Mere Creation conference

Brian D. Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 22:32:14 -0500

At 01:56 PM 11/20/96 -0800, Randy wrote:

[...]

>One day the glass plate partition was removed, but the pike doesn't attack
>the minnows. The same pattern of behavior can be seen in a cat that jumps
>onto a hot stove (once!).
>
>The behavior of the pike and the cat demonstrates the Pike Syndrome which
>is characterized by:

I move we rename this the Randy Syndrome ;-).

>1. Ignoring differences
>2. Assumption of complete knowledge (sound familiar mr you don't know
> anything if you don't have a ph.d steve)
>3. Overgeneralized reactions
>4. Rigid commitment to the past (i.e. Evolution)
>5. Refusal to consider alternatives
>6. Inability to function under stress

I don't know, Randy, I think the cat did a pretty good job considering the
alternatives and functioning under stress.

Brian Harper | "If you don't understand
Associate Professor | something and want to
Applied Mechanics | sound profound, use the
The Ohio State University | word 'entropy'"
| -- Morrowitz
Bastion for the naturalistic |
rulers of science |