Re: Science vs Science?

David J. Tyler (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:52:58 GMT

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Glenn Morton wrote:
> > DT: We need to clarify the principles behind making
> >correlations, and to subject the principles to critical scrutiny.
>
> This is difficult, but I think I can do it simply. the conclusion is that we
> find rocks of similar lithologies, similar depositional patterns, containing
> the same fossils, piled in the same order around the world. It is NOT simply
> the fossils which are found in the same order. Fossils AND lithologies AND
> depositional patterns on a large scale are found in the same order around the
> world. Because of this there is no circularity. Details below.

I'm much happier about this approach. However, there is still a need
to show that these correlations can be linked to the concept of time
equivalence.

> There are 23+ basins around the world where the entire column is found. For
> your information the ones I have been able to document are: ...

Thanks - this is useful information.

> How do we correlate? The first thing which can be correlated is the order of
> the fossils in each of the basins...

> The second thing which can be correlated is lithology, that is, the type of
> rock. Amazingly, the type of rock is often in the same order in various
> basins...
>
> (I would refer you to: Morton, G. R. (1984). Global, Continental, and
> Regional Sedimentation Systems and Their Implications Creation Research
> Society Quarterly. 21:23-33. for more details).

A little aside here: I seem to remember you remonstrating with Steve
Jones about citing your "former" publications - and here you are
citing a Morton publication from your YEC days! I will declare an
interest here and say that I regard this particular article as one of
your best. It develops Derek Ager's Chapter 1 in "The nature of the
stratigraphical record" very well. Has your article ever been
answered? Is it still valid? Can plate tectonics provide the
mechanisms for epositing these various lithologies on a global scale?

> Third, there is occassionally depositional patterns which can be correlated
> across these basins. The tertiary has more clastic deposition than almost any
> other period... The Pennsylvanian strata all over the
> world is very cyclic in nature.
>
> Finally, chemicals can be correlated. The majority of the Coal is found in
> carboniferous strata. Banded iron formations are only found at the bottom of
> the pile in the pre-cambrian. The iridium anomaly at the top of the Cretaceous
> appears to be a world-wide event. Ratios of sulfur isotopes can be correlated
> around the world
>
> These types of correlations from basin to basin help tell what rock is to be
> correlated with what rock.

These are all reasonable approaches to correlation, although a number
of these generalised correlations only really emerge one the rocks
are reexamined in the light of the Geological Column concept.

I would suggest that more is needed to establish time-equivalence.
Here are some possibilities:
(a) Orogenies. Major deformation events in earth history have
occured: lower-lying rocks exhibit folding, etc., and are overlain by
relatively undeformed strata. This establishes a time sequence and
correlation proceeds by linking together rocks in the same orogenic
belt.
(b) Metamorphism. Metamorphic events seem always to occur at depth,
where mineral changes may be induced by temperature, pressure and the
presence of water and minerals in solution. Metamorpic rocks are
generally separated from normal rocks by an unconformity. By
examining these mineral changes, a time sequence within a sequence of
rocks can be established - and this may lead to further correlations
which have time significance.
(c) Large-scale unconformities. Whilst unconformities are pervasive
in the rock record, there are some which stand out. The Cambrian
unconformity marks the base of the rock record which carries hard-
bodied fossils. The Permian unconformity marks the development of a
global pattern of non-marine red-beds. In the Cretaceous, prior to
the development of the Chalk facies, there seems to have been a major
erosive horizon. These unconformities suggest that certain fossil
and lithographic correlations are, in fact, time correlations as well.

> Frankly, Christians have been extremely derelict in their treatment of the
> geologic column and most of those making such claims have never even been on a
> geologic field trip.

This goes back to George McCready Price, who developed this
"treatment" of the GC, but whose field experience was very limited.

> I wish I could scream this from the housetops. Fossils are not the primary
> means of telling which rock is older than another. The stratigraphical order
> (the order they are piled up in) is THE PRIMARY MEANS OF DETERMINING WHAT ROCK
> IS OLDER THAN WHICH OTHER ROCK.

Agreed: we are dealing here with geometry!

> When the shape of the rocks is flat or gently dipping like:
>
> ------------------d
> ------------------c
> ------------------b
> ------------------a
>
> the layer (a) at the bottom is the oldest; (d) is the youngest. In cases like
> this I DON'T CARE WHAT FOSSILS THE ROCKS CONTAIN. The lowest is simply the
> oldest. This is what we find in most basins.

Well expressed! I think it is probably useful to emphasise that when
mapping an area, the approach is normally to work with lithologies to
establish the basic structure. Most biostratigraphical work generally
operates at the level of detail.

> Occasionally, there are overthrusts, in which older rocks are thrusted over
> younger rocks. Creationists have tried to make a lot from them. Rarely do the
> creationists draw what the rocks look like for their readers. (most have never
> personally seen an overthrust) In overthrust regions the roch are NEVER flat.

All the overthrusts I know of occur in areas which have experienced
deformation.

> In all the creationists books I have read, and I have read a bunch, only two
> of them attempted to diagram what an overthrust looks like. One, Eric Von
> fang's Time upside down drew a diagram like the first on. He is wrong. The
> other, Earth Science for Christian Schools, by Mulfinger and Snyder,
> diagrammed it correctly, but stated that overthrusts do not exist.

This does seem a little unfair. Harold Clark was a student of
Price's who sought to develop the flood geology approach. Clark came
to reject Price's hostility toward the GC, and he defended his views
in great detail in "The New Diluvialism". Clark accepted
overthrusting as a real phenomenon. Harold Coffin, one of Clark's
students, also accepted the GC and overthrusting. Coffin's "Origin
by Design" is in print today (I think).

Best wishes,

*** From David J. Tyler, CDT Department, Hollings Faculty,
Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
Telephone: 0161-247-2636 ***