Re: The man with the rhesus monkey brain (was Re: Jim's poor view of the Neanderthal)

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:54:19

Steve Clark wrote:

>>From a perspective of natural selection, Glenn, your viewpoint is not
>entirely self-evident. The features that you assume to be less adaptive,
>i.e., cannabilism, destruction of the intelligensia, etc. could, in fact, be
>more adaptive in certain types of environments. It is very difficult to
>point to specific traits and to then conclude that they are more or less
>adaptive given the current environment. It is even more difficult to
>presume that they would be more or less adaptive given tomorrow's
> environment.

OK, let me alter it a bit. In a war environment the intelligent scientists
become a very useful weapon. Think of what the outcome might have been had
Einstein felt safe in Germany. In the environment of the 40's the alienation
of a scientist of Einstein's caliber was a grave mistake.

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm