(no subject)

Brian D. Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:58:55 -0500

At 05:52 PM 11/14/96 -0600, Nick wrote:

>PS - Does anyone know if Hitler ever wrote or said, for example, the words
>"Darwin" or "evolution" (refering to the science and not just meaning
>"change"). Did he even read about it? The closest thing I've seen is that
>Hitler read (misread) Nietzsche, and Nietzsche refers to Darwin and evolution
>in some of his writings. Thanks.

Sorry, I can't answer this question, but your mention of Nietzsche
reminded me of something Ravi Zacharias said when he spoke here
a few years ago [BTW, if you ever get a chance to see Ravi then do
so, drop everything else. He's the greatest and most inspirational
evangelist I've ever had the pleasure of seeing].

Anyway, what he said was "Do not judge a philosophy by its abuse"
and his primary example was Nietzsche and Hitler, i.e. do not
blame Nietzsche on account of Hitler. Quite amazing actually
given the extent to which Hitler was apparently influenced by
Nietzsche. In the same spirit we also should not blame evolution
for Hitler. Even if Hitler did use evolution as a justification for
what he did (which hasn't yet been documented) so what? He's
a madman.

Brian Harper | "If you don't understand
Associate Professor | something and want to
Applied Mechanics | sound profound, use the
The Ohio State University | word 'entropy'"
| -- Morrowitz
Bastion for the naturalistic |
rulers of science |