Re: Mammalian eyes...

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 14:19:10 -0600

Brian Harper wrote:
[clip]
>The reason I say the above is naive is that it assumes one
>can change one aspect of a design keeping everything else
>the same.

I have heard a similar argument used against the anthropic principle. For
instance, someone invoking the AP might state something like, "If subatomic
forces were just a fraction different, the universe would consist of nothing
but helium atoms." The criticism is that if this force were changed, why
assume that all other constants would remain the same?

Cheers

steve
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs