Re: Anybody Reading These Books?

Richard A. Knopp (rknopp@prairienet.org)
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:23:41 -0700

Steve Clark wrote:
> SNIPPED MATERIAL
>

> (I have been amused that some creationists like to point out that at one time, Popper held that evolution was not falsifiable, but was a
'metaphysical research program,' but they fail to also note that Popper
also believed the same thing about religious convictions such as the
design theory).

> Cheers,
>
> Steve
> Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
> Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
> Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
> UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
> CSC K4-432
> 600 Highland Ave.
> Madison, WI 53792
>
> "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
> search out a matter." Proverbs
I am sometimes amused that people who are amused at the fact that
"some creationists like to point out that at one time, Popper held that
evolution was not falsifiable, but was a 'metaphysical research program,'
but ... fail to also note that Popper also believed the same thing about
religious convictions such as the design theory," fail to note that
Popper eventually held that what's more important is not empirical
"falsifiability" but rational "criticizability," and he believed that
metaphysical research programs can, in fact, be criticizable.
This "criticizability criterion" for rationality was picked up on
by one of Popper's advocates, the late W.W. Bartley, especially in his
incisive critique of much of modern theology in his RETREAT TO COMMITMENT
(1962; 1984).
In case anyone's interested further, I dealt with Popper and
Bartley in a doctoral dissertation several years ago: "Religious Belief
and the Problems of Cognitivity and Commitment: A Reappraisal Based on
Contemporary Philosophy of Science" (University of Illinois).

-- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Richard A. Knopp, Ph.D.Prof. of Philosophy & Christian ApologeticsLincoln Christian College & Seminary100 Campus View DriveLincoln, IL  62656

"If God didn't exist, He would want us not to believe in Him." (As far as I know, this statement is original with me.)