Re: supernatural observation & faith def.

Brian D. Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:44:56 -0400

At 03:29 PM 9/18/96 -0700, Neal Roys wrote:

>Brian D. Harper wrote:

>>BTW, Neal, I have Yockey's book right here. Could you tell me on
>>what page he discusses using information theory to identify whether
>>something is intelligently designed?
>

>Okay, Brian, I'll give you a more direct reference:
>
>Hubert P. Yockey, "Self Organization Origin of Life Scenarios and
>Information Theory," Journal of Theoretical Biology 91 (1981), pages 13-31

I'm not sure why this is more direct than his book. After all,
everything in this article is also in Chapter 10 of his book.

Anyway, I read the article you cite about a year ago and have it
in my files. Yockey simply does not say what you think he says.
Feel free to prove me wrong by giving a quote from the paper
or at least telling me about where to look.

I suspect that you haven't actually read anything Yockey wrote.
The clue is your statement about "_order with high complexity_".
One of Yockey's pet peeves is the rampant confusion over order
and complexity and he generally makes at least a few comments
about this in practically everything he writes.

I also suspect that you learned about Yockey from a secondary
source and would be very curious to know what that source is
and exactly what was said. I first heard of the infamous Hubert
from Hugh Ross's newsletter. I forget exactly what was written
there but I do remember very well that I was expecting to find
in his book something of the sort that you described. Alas,
its not there.

Brian Harper | "If you don't understand
Associate Professor | something and want to
Applied Mechanics | sound profound, use the
The Ohio State University | word 'entropy'"
| -- Morrowitz
Bastion for the naturalistic |
rulers of science |