Re: Prehistoric man played the blues!!

Glenn Dixon (webwide@flash.net)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:19:43 -0700

BROOKERD_at_BCEPO04@ccmail.worldcom.com wrote:

> I saw this article on my news service at work today. Thought it might
> be a little interesting to those involved in the flute discussion.
> Looking forward to Glenn's comments on this.

um......*which* Glenn? :o)

> BIRMINGHAM, England, Sept 10 (Reuter) - Bone flutes and wooden pipes
> found by archaeologists show ancient musicians deliberately played
> off-pitch or "blue" notes like modern jazz and blues musicians, a
> scientist said on Tuesday.

OK, 'ancient'......got it.

> First results from a study show of how ancient intruments were
> actually used show the prehistoric players used techniques like
> sliding fingers over fllute holes to "bend" notes.

OK, 'prehistoric'......got it.

<<snip>>

> The research, which is currently concentrating on medieval and
> Roman era flutes, could eventually yield details of ancient musicians'
> favourite harmonies, said Lawson, trained as both an archaeologist and
> a musician.

OK.....hey, waidaminnit! medieval and Roman??? This is PREhistoric?
*scratches head*

> Studying the instruments alongside 12th century music notations
> from, for example, the troubadours in France could eventually even
> give clues to prehistoric melodies.

hmmmm.....'could eventually'..........

> "That is work for the future, but it does seem that some of the

'for the future'......as in, we're not working on that just yet, but
we're hoping this press release will catch the attention of our funding
sources.....*smirk*

<<snip>>

> Lawson's team hopes eventually to work out how bone pipes from
> the old stone age more than 20,000 years ago were played.

OK......'eventually'..........

> But Lawson said he believed that even stone age musicians were
> playing "blue" notes.

hmmm.....'believed'.......

> -END-
>
> Not my area of expertise but it seems to me that a few "quantum leaps"
> were made in their assumptions. Hope this is found interesting to
> some of you out there.
>
> Darrin Brooker
> drb@inforamp.net

you know what they say about 'assuming'.....:o)

-- Glenn Dixon *********************************************Worship Leader        | Web Designer and Future Web GuruThe Jesus Center      | Web-Wide Wordhttp://flash.net/~tjc | http://flash.net/~webwide*********************************************************