Re: Early Homo, Recent Morton

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 09:36:16 -0400

Glenn wrote:

>Why are Mousterian tools less complex than Neolithic tools? Because no one
>had invented grinding stone agains stone to make tools in the neolithic
>fashion. That does not make the Acheulians less human than the neolithic
>farmers.

To fix on an example that is readily verifiable by people living in the
twentieth century, why are early 20th century tools less sophisticated than
today's tools? Is it because the toolmakers of the early twentieth century
were less human than we are? No. It's because light motors, practical
small rechargeable batteries, SCR and microprocessor controls just weren't
available at that time.

Bill Hamilton | Chassis & Vehicle Systems
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)