RE: The 1st Paleontologist was a Neanderthal

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:07:39 -0500

Thanks for your insightful comments, Brian!

Just a quick generic thought along the same lines:

It seems to me that if one's goal is simply truth regardless of =
practical utility, then one is under no obligation to produce a superior =
rival before rejecting a given theory.

If, on the other hand, a major goal is practical utility (hopefully =
leading to truth in the long run), then it's important to offer =
something better rather than simply criticizing the prevailing theory. =
(But even this I wouldn't want to overstate, in that it's more precisely =
the case that -someone- needs to come up with a better theory, not =
necessarily the critic.)

The former approach, an extremely important one, is characteristic of =
philosophy. (This is my background, and I'm too frequently bemused when =
those with, say, an engineering background will reply to some seemingly =
decisive objection I'll raise to, e.g., materialism by saying "but what =
can you do with -that-?!!" Practically, they may be right; but usually, =
up until this comment, we were discussing the -truth- of the theory in =
question, not its -utility-.)

The latter approach is more characteristic of science, and especially of =
engineering or applied science. While one is tempted to critique its =
pragmatism as crude (effectively, and usually unconsciously, tolerating =
falsehood [especially wrt foundations] if the ultimately false theory =
works), one should not forget the sorts of insights that this pragmatic =
orientation has led to over time, even from a philosophical perspective. =
Even the myriad false theories in science were invaluable stepping =
stones toward whatever scientific truth we have now, and have provided =
far, far more grist for the intellectual mill than philosophy alone =
would have ever discovered.

(Suppose Newton had realized the deep and wide errors in the foundations =
of his physics and then, thinking as a philosopher might, said simply "I =
don't care if it 'works' -- I know it's all ultimately false!" and =
discarded his Principia. Would we have a better grip on the truth today =
as a result, since an ultimately false theory was rejected? -I doubt =
it!!-)

I see this as a comment of warning and encouragement to both camps =
(alethic/realistic and pragmatic), and I hope people can come to agree =
upon this. I believe that the more one knows of the histories of =
science and philosophy, the more one will realize that this is true. =
And I think this insight can ease some of the tensions between =
supporters and opponents of evolution, and lead them to look upon each =
other more charitably, and to realize the solid intellectual merit (as =
well as the incompleteness) in each approach. =20

That's my goal in bringing it up, anyway.