de-lurking and flute-making

pdd@gcc.cc.md.us
3 Sep 1996 23:34:20 EDT

Welcome to the show, Glenn... and we'll all have to start using last
names.

WE>Glenn Morton wrote:

WE>> But the first flute was made by a Neanderthal who lived 45,000 years ago
WE>> time when there was no neolithic farming.
WE>> (see http://www.zrc-sazu.si/www/iza/piscal.html) And he did not live in t
WE>> Middle East, he lived in the Balkans. If this Neandertal is a descendant o
WE>> Adam, then your view is falsified.

WE>Glenn,

WE>This web site is supposed to back up your statement? All I found was
WE>the following rather ambivalent quote:

WE>"Since similar artifacts date from the upper palaeolithic
WE>exclusively and are believed to be musical instruments, the
WE>possibility that the find could be the oldest musical instrument
WE>found in Europe cannot be ruled out. Of course, it must be first
WE>proved that the holes are manmade, and in this particular case
WE>it would probably be Neanderthal man who was responsible. The
WE>next likely explanation is that the holes were made by some
WE>large carnivore even though traces of teeth on the bone have
WE>not yet been discovered."

WE>Not to mention the fact that the bone fragment pictured there
WE>appears to have been flat and solid, and not hollow or tube-like as
WE>I would expect of a wind instrument. Plus the holes appear to go
WE>all the way through the bone.

This discussion actually started with reference to a newspaper article
by (I think) Dave Tyler in June. Surprisingly to many, Glenn Morton and
I agree on the humanness of Neanderthal but disagree rather vociferously
on his evolution and probably somewhat on the dating.

One option is that, since "modern man" and neanderthal were
contemporaries, neanderthal may not have fashioned it at all. But since
he had human intellect he probably could have easily enough as his
relative Noah could also build a big boat! ;-)

Rv:4:11: Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for
thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
Paul Durham
Oakland, Maryland
pdd@gcc.cc.md.us

to: IN:webwide@flash.net