de-lurking and flute-making

Glenn Dixon (webwide@flash.net)
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 10:39:14 -0700

First post, and word of introduction:

Not a scientist, no degrees, just interested in the topic.
So far, most I have read is beyond my understanding and
experience. So far as I know, you should probably classify
me as a YEC, however, I have not yet figured out what all
the other acronyms mean so I reserve the right to switch
acronyms at a later date. :o)

Glenn Morton wrote:

> But the first flute was made by a Neanderthal who lived 45,000 years ago at a
> time when there was no neolithic farming.
> (see http://www.zrc-sazu.si/www/iza/piscal.html) And he did not live in the
> Middle East, he lived in the Balkans. If this Neandertal is a descendant of
> Adam, then your view is falsified.

Glenn,

This web site is supposed to back up your statement? All I found was
the following rather ambivalent quote:

"Since similar artifacts date from the upper palaeolithic
exclusively and are believed to be musical instruments, the
possibility that the find could be the oldest musical instrument
found in Europe cannot be ruled out. Of course, it must be first
proved that the holes are manmade, and in this particular case
it would probably be Neanderthal man who was responsible. The
next likely explanation is that the holes were made by some
large carnivore even though traces of teeth on the bone have
not yet been discovered."

Not to mention the fact that the bone fragment pictured there
appears to have been flat and solid, and not hollow or tube-like as
I would expect of a wind instrument. Plus the holes appear to go
all the way through the bone.

-- Glenn Dixon *********************************************Worship Leader        | Web Designer and Future Web GuruThe Jesus Center      | Web-Wide Wordhttp://flash.net/~tjc | http://flash.net/~webwide*********************************************************