Re: The 1st Paleontologist was a Neanderthal

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Sun, 01 Sep 96 19:40:02 +0800

Group

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:03:49, Glenn Morton wrote:

[...]

GM>My view is the only one which requires the human-like activities
>of Homo erectus and Neanderthal (without ignoring geology as the
>YECs do) and is able to absorb any future discoveries of like kind.

Sorry to ruin Glenn's Nobel prize :-) but the two-"Adam" model
also has no problem with "human-like activities" of Homo erectus and
Neanderthal:

"It is acknowledged that to draw pictures of a series of skulls with
increasing brain capacity is misleading, as some humanlike types
living before our present race of man (Homo sapiens), had a bigger
brain capacity. In any case our present race has a great variation of
brain size (900- 2,100cc) It is, of course, the shape and convolutions
which show to what species of early men the fossil belongs...It has
been acknowledged that to represent older types of man as having an
ape-like stoop is inaccurate. All museum exhibits have been altered
to show that all fossil men remains reveal them as walking upright.
(This has not been corrected in Russia, however)...The fossil bones
of the hominids, which were formerly represented as ape-men, are now
practically all re-named "homo" (meaning "man"). Correct
measurements show that in spite of appearances of some, in all
essential characteristics they are truly human....It is now
acknowledged that there existed "modern" types of men (Homo sapiens)
long before our present race" (Pearce E.K.V., "Who Was Adam?",
Paternoster: Exeter, 1969, p14)

and

"The Christian's interest will be whether these pre-adamic men were
fallen or unfallen, whether they had a conscience, a soul and a sense
of religion. These questions are rather much to ask from fossils !
Nevertheless, there are some guides: Homo neanderthal buried his
dead with ceremony, which might indicate a belief in an after-life,
and therefore, perhaps, a belief in soul or spirit and other aspects
which go with these things. We note that in Genesis 1 God did give
instructions to Old Stone Age man, but there was no forbidden tree
(Gen. 1:29). So perhaps conscience was not fully possessed."
(Pearce E.K.V., "Who Was Adam?", Paternoster: Exeter, 1969, p45-46)

Maybe we can share the Nobel prize together? :-)

God bless.

| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 9 448 7439 (These are |