Jim's poor view of the Neanderthal

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 20:27:01

Jim Bell wrote:

>I need some clarification, Glenn. It seems to me this part of your theory is
>dependent on "lost evidence." Am I right?

No. I have heard it put that way before but that is entirely the wrong way to
look at what has not been confirmed. Look at Stephen Hawking's work. His
theory requires that a Hawking radiation be observed. It has not been
observed yet. That is "lost" evidence also. The entire theory of black holes
requires that a characteristic spectrum of electromagnetic energy be released
as an emitting object falls into a black hole. The electromagnetic signal
should become lower and lower frequency. (a down chirp). There should be
gravitational radiation. None of this has been detected.

But this is not "lost" or wrong information. These are predictions. All
theories (all good theories) make predictions which then can be verified or
refuted. My theory makes two predictions.

1. Man made objects should be found on the Mediterranean floor. This is a
prediction, not "lost evidence". No other theory has any reason to tell
someone to look there.

2. Some form of mankind will be found at an older age than currently
acknowledged. I would prefer it to be Homo erectus. Homo habilis would do.
My view would require that Homo have existed all the way back to the 5.5 myr
flood. So far I would not claim verification on these two predictions.

If some form of Homo is not found prior to 2 million years, or someone can
look enough on the Mediterranean sea floor, then my theory is wrong. period.
However, my view would need for Neanderthal and some other form of Homo to
possess a language ability back to the 5.5 myr time frame. I think the data
supports such a contention.

>For example, in order to say
>"possibly", you must believe in the ability to pass on, orally, a tradition
>(there is no written tradition, of course). But there is no evidence for the
>complex mode of lingual communication necessary for this to occur, either
>anatomically or mentally. No expert to my knowledge believes there was such
>complex communication back then. The beginnings of lingual capacity,
> perhaps, but not modern language. 30K years ago is the "first time we can be
>sure that people possessed articulate speech, whereas there is no way in
>which we can be certain of this in the case of any earlier group."
[Tattersall @245]

Not true Jim. You have made this assertion before, I have cited experts and
you either 1) don't remember from the last time, 2) didn't read any of my
replies, or 3) are chosing to ignore them. I am assuming it is number 2.

You don't know of any experts who disagree with your position because I have
never seen you quote anyone who disagrees with you. I presume that means
that you don't read anyone who disagrees with your position. There are lots
of experts who believe early hominids had language. For those who might want
the dates: Neanderthals lived 230,000 to 30,000 BP. Erectus lived 1.8 myr to
300,000 BP. Archaic Homo sapiens lived from approx. 500,000 years to 120,000
years.

Dean Falk, one of the world's leading authorities on hominid brains wrote:

""Although those of us who study hominid brain evolution ('paleoneurologists')
are notorious for our disagreements, we do seem to agree that early hominids
may have been capable of language. What accounts for this unusual agreemeent
is the strength and convergence of biological/comparative evidence that favors
an early origin for language."~Dean Falk, "Comments", Current Anthropology
30:2, April 1989, p. 141

Brian Hayden an anthropologist at British Columbia wrote:
"Given the previous arguments on the symbolic connotations of complex
technology, social organization, rituals and the use of coloring agents, there
is no compelling reason to believe that Neandertal language was fundamentally
less complex than fully sapient language, although it may not have been as
developed and probably had a different grammar."~Brian Haden "The Cultural
capicities of Neandertals ", Journal of Human Evolution 1993, 24:113-146, p.
131

For those who believed that Neanderthal had a poorly positioned larynx, Haden
notes that even if this were true, the consequences are not bad. He writes

"Not only had the most significant-indeed the only significant change in brain
morphology related to speech areas occurred millions of years earlier at the
Homo habilis level of evolution, but as Fremlen has so effectively point out
...et seems emprebeble theth ther speech wes enedeqwete bekes ef the leck ef
the three vewels seggested. The kemplexete of speech depends en the
kensenents, net en the vewels, es ken be seen frem the generel
kemprehensebelete ef thes letter."~Brian Haden "The Cultural Capacities of
Neandertals ", Journal of Human Evolution 1993, 24:113-146, p. 131

And "Finally, Le May has shown that modern men, with the same speech
physiology as Neandertals, have normal modern speech."~Brian Haden "The
Cultural Capacities of Neandertals ", Journal of Human Evolution 1993,
24:113-146, p. 132

However, the critics of the language abilities of Neanderthal predicted that
the hyoid bone of the Neanderthal would be different from modern peoples.
Since none had been found, you would call that lost data. But it wasn't. It
was a prediction. In 1990 a Neandertal hyoid was found that was anatomically