Re: Research methods of Wise and Austin

Steven Schimmrich (s-schim@students.uiuc.edu)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 00:52:30 -0500 (CDT)

Paul A. Nelson (pnelson2@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> Steve Schimmrich wrote, commenting on the research of Steve Austin and
> Kurt Wise:
>
>> Then Morris retaliates by essentially accusing them of flirting with atheism
>> because they actually have the nerve to try to look at rocks (well, maps
>> according to Glenn's post, they haven't gotten to real rocks yet, but we
>> won't quibble) to try to answer geological questions.
>
> Both Steve and Kurt spend a *lot* of time in the field, and not simply
> leading tours of the Grand Canyon.

I believe my statement was misunderstood...

In my parenthetical aside, I referred to Glenn's post and Glenn Morton
reported that Austin, et al. wrote:

> "The definition of the Flood/Post-Flood boundary in the geologic column is
> a subject of considerable dispute among creationists. Estimates range
> from the Carboniferous to the Pleistocene. For our purposes here we would
> like to define the Flood/post-Flood boundary at the termination of
> global-scale erosion and sedimentation. Based upon a qualitative
> assessemnt of geologic maps worldwide, lithotypes change from worldwide or
> continental in character in the Mesozoic to local or regional in the
> Tertiary. Therefore, we tentatively place the Flood/postFlood boundary at
> approximately the Cretaceous/Tertiary(K/T) boundary. We believe further
> studies in stratigraphy paleontology, paleomagnetism and geochemistry
> should allow for a more precise definition of this boundary." Austin et
> al. op. cit., p. 614.

According to this information, I stand by my statement that they haven't
looked at real rocks in order to define the K-T flood boundary, only maps
("Based upon a qualitative assessement of geologic maps worldwide...").

Want to know what most geologists would say if you told them you wanted to
rewrite all of modern geology on the basis of looking at a few maps?

Anyway, I know for a fact that Steve Austin goes into the field, that wasn't
what I meant to imply and I apologize if I gave that impression. It probably
has to do with the fact that I don't write as clearly as I like at 1 am (I'm
logging in long distance because I'm currently in NY State looking at "real"
rocks in my research area!)

> In November 1995, they presented a paper at the Geological Society of
> America annual meeting (New Orleans) on their analysis of a nautiloid fossil
> bed in the Redwall Limestone, for instance. They jointly make regular trips
> to a study site in the Mojave Desert, and Kurt explores caves near his home
> in Tennessee, looking at mammalian fossil distribution. Both constantly
> encourage other young-earth creationists to get out into the field, and to
> wean themselves off the habitual YEC reliance on secondary literature.

Their GSA paper is a LONG way from their flood geology beliefs. How about
a GSA paper on the K-T flood boundary? I'd love to drop in on that session!

I'm glad they encourage other YECs to look at real rocks, maybe that's why
they're having trouble following the old guard's beliefs regarding a global
flood (ideas substantially no different from those of the old Seventh Day
Adventist George McCready Price).

> So: let's please take care in dishing out the criticism about research
> practices.

I think my criticism was correct in that I was referring specifically to
their positioning of the K-T flood boundary which was done on the basis of an
examination of maps. I should have made that more explicit and been less
sarcastic.

Let me ask you a question Paul... Why is it that many supporters of YEC on
this forum jump on Glenn or I if there's even the appearance of a mistake or
unfairness yet remain silent regarding false and misleading information
promoted by YECs (especially the ones who travel around the country giving
talks at local churches)? I don't mind (really!) when people point out
mistakes or mistatements I make (which happens now and again) but I think it's
shameful that the Evangelical community apparently tolerates sloppy research
and even dishonesty (I'm not speaking specifically about Austin or Wise here)
among proponents of YEC.

- Steve.

--      Steven H. Schimmrich           KB9LCG            s-schim@uiuc.edu      Department of Geology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign         245 Natural History Building, Urbana, IL 61801  (217) 244-1246      http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/s-schim     Fides quaerens intellectum