A Challenge to Steve Austin-Come debate.

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:44:47

Paul Nelson wrote:

>Answer: yes.
>
>Can challenges be raised to Austin's geological arguments?
>Of course. Just as challenges can be directed at, for instance,
>Glenn's continuing advocacy of ribozyme engineering as relevant
>to prebiotic evolution. I expect that Glenn will take his
>objections directly to Steve, just as I've told Glenn when,
>after reading his book, I disagreed with his interpretation of
>the relevance of ribozyme engineering, the Kollar and Fisher "hen's
>teeth" experiment, developmental mutants, and so on.

Yes, you told me about Fischer and Kollar problems. So, my second edition

has deleted reference to them and substituted other information of which
you not only approved but also suggested. I am willing to change and have
done so. In the past when I have raised things with Steve, I have not
found him willing to consider any changes in his position. That gets very
tiresome. Steve is aware, or should be, of the geological data. He has a
PhD for pete's sake.

>My post about "research practices" was directed to the
>question posed in the header. Steve Austin and Kurt Wise
>look at rocks first-hand, all the time. I wanted simply
>to establish that point.

I have an idea. Why don't you invite Steve to this forum to debate the
geological points with Steve Schimmrich and I? I would suggest that you
extend the invite so he doesn't feel threatened. It has always struck me
as odd that the leaders in the C/E field always seem to avoid forums like
this. They almost never post anything so it can be publically critiqued.
This does not give a good appearance. Go look at the more scientific
forums in Usenet and you will find all sorts of authors and leaders in
their field. Hubert Yockey has posted to Talk.Origins. But the YEC
leaders never leave controlled environments. Why?

I would suggest that if Steve is worried about his time, that we
limit it to a 3 or 4 week debate. That way it is long enough to have
substance but not so long as to tie Steve up for a long time.

Will he do it? I doubt it very seriously.

glenn
Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm