RE: A Proposal

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:25:53 -0400

Glenn Morton wrote:

>These functional maps on sequence space are like the strange attractors of
>chaos theory fame. And as Brian noted, the strange attractors are located
>at very convenient places. I believe that science is in the process of
>discovering that the functional attractors in biological polymers are
>similarly arranged so that it is almost inevitable that functions needed
>for life are easy to find. In my mind, this is evidence of design because
>it is like having the roulette wheel rigged to give black 34 all the time.

Agreed. The design is in the rules that make things happen. That's
creation. Providence is in the ability of God to introduce infinitesimal
perturbations that cause specific attractors to be chosen when needed. I
am not arguing that God's actions are always invisible, only that God has a
sense of "elegance" (which He has given to us in some degree) which leads
to mechanisms that do what He wants done with minimal disruption from Him
-- IOW most of the time He operates like a process engineer who controls a
plant from a control panel. Occasionally He goes out into the plant and
reroutes some piple, but good process design would minimize the need for
that kind of activity.

>Why should we expect so many molecules to perform the same function? I
>would say we shouldn't expect this, and history says that not many
>evolutionists or Christian anti-evolutionists anticipated this finding.
>This is design THROUGH or by means of evolution. The typical Christian
>approach is: evolution is untrue, therefore life is designed. I think it
>is designed because the evolution is true.

There may be an element of _robust_ design here -- ensuring that the
designed system, including all the variations of biological polymers that
can perform a given function is able to function in the face of a wide
variety of disruptions.

Bill Hamilton | Chassis & Vehicle Systems
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)