Re: Data of absence, or absence of data?

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:46:21 -0500

>To: Chuck Warman <cwarman@wf.net>
>From: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu (Steve Clark)
>Subject: Re: Data of absence, or absence of data?
>
>>At 10:37 AM 8/13/96 -0500, Steve Clark wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps. But in the history of science, such shifts occur when data compel
>>>consideration of a new model. The Kuhnian shit does not necessarily embrace
>>>the next alternative paradigm unless the reason to do so is compelling.
>>>Thus, if a shift occurs, I cannot see it moving to a YEC position simply
>>>because the position is not sufficiently compelling. This fact says nothing
>>>regarding the need for a shift, however.
>>>
>>>steve
>>
>>There are other issues that I'm sure are more interesting to the reflector,
>>but for the moment I'll limit my response to this:
>>

>>FOR THE 900TH TIME, I AM ***NOT*** A YEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't mean to implicate any belief of yours in my statement. I simply
wanted to illustrate that the Kuhnian paradigm shift arises when NEW data
compel the shift. Problems with the extant paradigm are not enough to
warrant a shift.

steve
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53792

"Universities are full of knowledge; the freshmen bring a little in,
the seniors take none away...the knowledge accumulates." Mark Twain