Re: Latest on Mars

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 14:15:50 -0500

>Steve Clark wrote:
>
>_____________________SNIP_______________________________
>>
>>In my earlier post, I qualified this sort of response to new data by saying
>>it can only reasonably occur if the new data do not clearly falsify the
>>prevailing model.
>
>But is evolutionary theory, in its current form, falsifiable? Or does it, as
>Popper believed, have too much explanatory power, rather than too little?
>
>Chuck

Sure it is falsifiable. In fact some on this reflector claim that the
paucity of transitional species and the tempo with which species disappear
and new species appear in the fossil record disprove evolution. Of course,
there is not universal agreement of this. It also seems to me that if the
fossil record showed no extinct species, only current species the model
would be untenable. Also, if the measurements of the age of the earth and
of the universe indicated a very recent beginning, say 10,000 years ago,
then evolution by natural selection would, again, be untenable.

There may be other other ways to disprove evolution as well. In fact, a
response to my earlier point to Jim, in which I stated that it is fair for
science to appeal to alternative hypotheses when the data do not fit the
prevailing model, begs the question, "How often can you do this before you
must through out the basic model?" It is hard to know the answer to this.
Basically, it would require a Kuhnian-type of paradigm change and the things
that cause the community of science to make such a change are not well known.

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53792

"Universities are full of knowledge; the freshmen bring a little in,
the seniors take none away...the knowledge accumulates." Mark Twain