Re: The compassionate Homo erectus

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Tue, 06 Aug 1996 20:32:24

Jim Bell wrote:

>Glenn quoted Walker and Shipmen re: the poor erectus who died from a
> bad disease:
>
><<The implication stared me in the face: someone else took care of
>her. Alone, unable to move, delirious, in pain, 1808 wouldn't have
>lasted two days in the African bush, much less the length of time her
>skeleton told us she had lived.>>
>
>This implication isn't staring at me for some reason. How do the
>authors know this creature was "alone"? Why couldn't she be part of the
>group sitting there by their water source, fighting off predators while
>she painfully sipped water?

Jim, you need new glasses. Re-read what the quote said. The authors were
saying 1808 could not possibly be alone because she would not survive long
enough for the ossification of the woven bone area if she had been alone.
Here is an experiment. Let me feed you a lot of vitamin A, get you sick,
and lay you down by a water hole on the African plain all alone. My money
would be bet on the proposition that you wouldn't survive a single night.

><< Someone else, I couldn't help thinking, sat with her through the
> long, dark African nights for no good reason except human concern.>>
>
>Who wrote this? Alan Alda?

Alan Walker, a very respected anthropologist. Like you he engages in an
occasional speculation based on the data.

glenn
Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm