Re: The compassionate Homo erectus

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 13:22:28 -0400

At 12:38 PM 8/6/96 -0400, Jim Bell wrote:

>Glenn quoted Walker and Shipmen re: the poor erectus who died from a bad
>disease:
>
><<The implication stared me in the face: someone else took care of
>her. Alone, unable to move, delirious, in pain, 1808 wouldn't have
>lasted two days in the African bush, much less the length of time her
>skeleton told us she had lived.>>
>
>This implication isn't staring at me for some reason. How do the authors know
>this creature was "alone"? Why couldn't she be part of the group sitting there
>by their water source, fighting off predators while she painfully sipped
>water?

Still, someone was caring for her, which was the point Walker and Shipmen
were making.

><< Someone else, I couldn't help thinking, sat with her through the long, dark
>African nights for no good reason except human concern.>>
>
>Who wrote this? Alan Alda?
>
>There are just too many assumptions here to speculate about supposed human
>behavior.

To be fair to Glenn, you ought to enumerate those assumptions, so they can
be responded to.

Bill Hamilton | Chassis & Vehicle Systems
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)