re: Interest in Evolution

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Thu, 18 Jul 96 20:53:23 +0800

Group

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996 21:44:57, Glenn Morton wrote:

[...]

"...Ramm would regard the "vertical radiation" as the origin of that
root-species."

GM>Would this mean that a dog-kind gave rise to all the dog like
beings? >Like coyotes, foxes, jackals, hyaenas etc?

>Would this mean that a horse-kind gave rise to all the horse like beings?
>Like zebras, donkeys, kulans, onagers etc?

Actually, Ramm (and I) are not concerned to give a precise
identification of the "kind" of Genesis 1 with any particular
modern biological classification:

"Just as mistaken as identifying Christianity with Aristotelianism is
the mistake of making the Bible speak too specifically on scientific
matters. We have in Gen. 1 a broad, general sketch of creation. To
try to prove minute points of geology, biology, botany or
anthropology from it is therefore impossible and should not be
attempted. When we try to do it, we force the record to speak in
detail beyond its real purpose, and we are in danger of running into
contradiction with the empirical facts established by the sciences.
Few reliable conservative scholars today would state that we can
positively identify the Hebrew word kind (Hebrew, min; LXX, genos;
Vulgate, genus and species) with the modern scientific notion of
species. None would certainly identify min with varieties. To
attempt to identify min with species or varieties is making the
record speak with a scientific particularity it does not possess. We
judge it improper for the theologian to try to settle specific
details about scientific matters by forcing the Bible to speak with a
degree of particularity its language does not indicate." (Ramm B.
"The Christian View of Science and Scripture", Paternoster: London,
1955, p36)

God bless.

| 3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones |
| Perth, West Australia v (My opinions, not my employer's) |