Re: After Their Kind

pdd@gcc.cc.md.us
17 Jul 1996 07:45:12 EDT

Back to Glenn...

GR>Hi Paul,
GR>You wrote:

GR>>I believe that the Bible speaks to us in a very general way with respect
GR>>to "kinds".
GR>>
GR>>First, it does not use the term as we use taxonomic terms. It speaks to
GR>>individual groups of organisms as belonging to a "kind" or grouping (
GR>>possessively, i.e. "their kind"). This represents a direct link between
GR>>the organism and the "kind" that it belongs to. Strong's defines the
GR>>Hebrew word for "kind" as meaning to portion out; a sort, i.e.- a
GR>>species (although in a general sense and not taxanomically).
GR>>
GR>>As a creationist, I think that this sorting represents a planned
GR>>separate biologic unit. As has been clearly seen on many occasions,
GR>>there are surprising examples of taxonomically separate species capable
GR>>of reproduction. It is quite possible that these species possess a
GR>>common, ancestral, biblical "kind" or grouping that scientific taxonomy
GR>>has not yet been capable of duplicating.
GR>>
GR>So would you agree that the canidae (jackals hyaenas, foxes etc) and the
GR>equidae (horses, onagers, kulans etc) represent two of these kinds?

We may not yet be ready to establish that. These organisms have a
taxonomic relationship, which originated in morphological
characteristics, and many species are reproductively isolated from each
other. I was proposing that by taking a fresh look at how we have
classified them we may yield some insight into the original Biblical
"kinds" biological unit. We may have had two separate, but
morphologically similar, "kinds" to begin with. We may have had one and
speciation has occurred. This is where more work is needed.

GR>>Second, and with that idea in mind, it plainly appears that the Bible
GR>>has linked the concept of "kinds" with reproduction. The use of the
GR>>phrases "yielding fruit after his kind" and "herb yielding seed after
GR>>his kind" in Genesis 1 are examples. But until we reach a common
GR>>understanding of the Biblical grouping, or "kinds", of organisms the
GR>>details of the linkage to reproduction will remain elusive and
GR>>troublesome.
GR>>

GR>I used to do a bit of gardening. Each year I had a whole garden full of
GR>"herb yielding seed after his kind." But that still does not say that in
GR>the future a carrot could not give rise to a different kind of seed.

And it appears that Morris agrees with you. He simply emphasized limits
to the string of variation and speciation and I emphasized the beginning
of that string as being the created groups or "kinds".

GR>Your friend,

and yours...

Go easy on your hand.