Re: Neanderthal Personal Ornaments

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 21:45:20

Paul,

You wrote:

>Glenn wrote on 7/12/96...
>
>>Can you show that to me in the Bible? The only place anything is said
>>about the image of God is Gen. 1.
>
>Check out...
>
>Genesis 9:6
>1 Corinthians 11:7
>2 Corinthians 4:4
>Colossians 1:15
>Hebrews 1:3
>
>and it is implied in...
>
>1 Corinthians 15:49
>2 Corinthians 3:18
>
>God Bless,
>
>Paul Durham

I consider this an over use of the scissors on a post. What you quoted
was so ripped out of context even I couldn't tell what we were talking
about. I had to go look it up. I would appreciate it if you would leave
enough of the context in the citations so that the context is clear. You
make it sound as if I am saying that the image of God is not mentioned in
the Bible. The context is as follows: Stephen Jones made the assertion
that God PROGRESSIVELY created the image of God in man. I was challenging
him to produce evidence that God PROGRESSIVELY created the image. This is
what I can not find in the Bible. I am quite well aware that the term
'image of God' appears elsewhere. But not any indication of a progressive
creation of the image of God.

For those who might also be equally confused, here is the full quote in
context of what Stephen Jones wrote:

***start***

>>>Are you now saying that the image of God EVOLVED?
>>
>>No. I am saying that God progressively created it! :-)
>>

>Can you show that to me in the Bible? The only place anything is said
>about the image of God is Gen. 1. Gen. 1 man is in the image of God. In
>your view that means that H. erectus was in the image of God. Since
>there was only one creatin spoken of, it would appear to me that you are
>adding to the account.
****end***

At great pains to my hand I am going to type in the NAB versions of the
list you listed, since you do not like the NIV which I can grab from my
computer without typing. Let us see if there is any indication of an
progressive creation of the image of God in the verses you cite.

Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood by man, his blood shall be shed,
for in the image of God He made man." NAB

No progressive creation here.

1 Cor 11:7

For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and
glory of God; but the woman is the glory of the man." NAB

No progressive creation here.

2 Cor 4:4
"...that they might see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ,
who is the image of God." NAB

No progressive creation here.

Col. 1:15
"And He is the image of the invisible God, the first born of all
creation." NAB

No progressive creation here.

Heb. 1:3 ---The NAB uses the term exact representation rather than image,
as does the NIV. The Revised Standard says 'the very stamp of his
nature."

No progressive creation here.

Please in the future try to use tactics that are less hit and run. Your
post has the appearance of trying to pull what I say out of context so you
can show me how wrong I am. In the context of our discussion, concerning
the creation of the image of God, my statement that there is nothing on
this elsewhere in the Bible is quite correct and accurate. The verses you
cite say nothing about the creation of the image of God.

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm