From: David Stump
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 1996 11:36 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list HOPOS-L
Subject: summary: critical historical accounts

I have some information about historical critical accounts of
science. These works clearly fall into the category of popular
or semi-popular works written by scientists in order to influence
some kind of political or social debate, an area the Rachel Laudan
has been studying intensely (I attended her NEH seminar on the
topic). This is only a start, but thanks to all who replied. More
information is welcome.

David Stump
stumpd@usfca.edu

Ernie Hamm suggests a good source of information on the term,
but I have not checked it yet:

Frei, Hans W. _The eclipse of Biblical narrative; a study in
eighteenth and nineteenth century hermeneutics_ New Haven,
Yale University Press, 1974.

John Preston noted that Steve Fuller has written on this
topic; I have posted Steve's helpful note below.

I was interested in Bonola's use of the term in

Bonola, Roberto (1912, 1955). Non-Euclidean Geometry: A Critical and
Historical Study of its Development. H. S. Carslaw, transl.
New York: Dover. (original Italian, 1906)