RE: rapid evolution & another mutation

Joseph T. Janney (jjanney@ahoynet.com)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:39:47 -0400

At 09:19 PM 7/9/96, you wrote:
>Stephen Jones wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 04 Jul 1996 15:21:14, Glenn Morton wrote:
>>
>>SJ>Now Glenn is "playing" his own "semantic game". He clearly says
>>>above that "Christian apologists give" a "view" that "there needs to
>>>be millions of them (mutation ) in order to change from one species
>>>to another". He attempted to support this with quotes from said
>>>"Christian apologists" writings. Now he finds his quotes don't
>>>really support his view, so he switches his claim to only that "their
>>>view NEEDS millions of mutations".
>>
>>GM>No, Stephen, I do not agree with you here. This thread started
>>>because I pointed out that relatively few mutations were required to
>>>make most of the morphological transtion between one species and
>>>another--8 in the case of monkey flowers and possibly 5 in the case
>>>of corn.
>>
>>Firstly, I thank Glenn for his temperate response. If he keeps this
>>up, I might even start responding to him direct! :-)
>>

>Thank you Stephen. I have been holding my breath. I need this pat on the
>head.
>
>>Secondly, I do not disagree with the above, ie. that "relatively few
>>mutations were required to make most of the morphological transtion
>>between one species and another". The only point I asked Glenn for
>>further clarification on was his claim on Wed, 19 Jun 1996 21:55:42
>>that:
>>
>>"The often cited view Christian apologists give of the effects of
>>mutation is that there needs to be millions of them in order to
>>change from one species to another. This is wrong. Mutations to
>>particular places on the DNA alter the morphology drastically without
>>killing the individual or harming him badly enough to cause him not
>>to be able to compete."
>>
>>On Fri, 21 Jun 96 06:40:45 +0800, I asked:
>>
>>"Perhaps Glenn can give examples where "Christian apologists" claim
>>that "millions" of "mutations" are needed "in order to change from
>>one species to another"?"
>>
>>To date Glenn has been unable to substantiate his claim with *even
>>one* quote by "Christian apologists" that "there needs to be
>>millions of them (mutations) in order to change from one species to
>>another"
>
>Stephen,
>
>I wrote this:
>
>"The often cited view Christian apologists give of the effects of mutation
>is that there needs to be millions of them in order to change from one
>species to another."
>
>I provided documentation which was sufficient for anyone who has an
>objective mind.

I agree. Also one only has to monitor talk.origins or any of the C/E debate
forums on AOL, Compuserve etc. to see what currency the "millions of
mutations necessary" idea has among creationist. It is the oft repeated
mantra of those who depend on the ICR, CRS, CTF, CRF, Ken Hovind et al for
their "science." It is refreshing to find creationists on this mailer who
are interested in fresh ideas on how scripture can fit into the discoveries
made by science rather than the other way around.

>glenn
>Foundation,Fall and Flood
>http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm

Joe Janney