RE: rapid evolution & another mutation quote

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:03:38

Stephen wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Jun 1996 19:33:33, Glenn Morton wrote:

>I read this through and could not find where "Christian apologists"
>claim that "millions" of "mutations" are needed "in order to change
>from one species to another"?

This is a semantic game you are playing. Let us look back at what I said.

On Wed. June 19, 1996 I wrote:

>The often cited view Christian apologists give of the effects of mutation
>is that there needs to be millions of them in order to change from one
>species to another. This is wrong. Mutations to particular places on the
>DNA alter the morphology drastically without killing the individual or
>harming him badly enough to cause him not to be able to compete.

I did not say that Christian apologists SAID (or WROTE) "millions" of
mutations are needed. I said that that their view NEEDS millions of
mutations. I will stand on what I said. But I will not argue over your
interpretation of what you want to think I said. Logic is sufficient
Stephen and you should allow that views have logical conclusions. The
anti-evolutionists say that [Thanks for correcting the quote of Gish I
skipped a line of text]

>>And Gish wrote:
>>"The number of transitional forms that would have lived and died
>>during the vast time span required for the evolution of the complex
>>invertebrates would have been many billions times
>>billions. If evolution is true, museums should have an immense
>>storehouse of the fossil transistional forms. Yet, not one has
>>ever been found!"~Duane T. Gish, Creation Scientists Answer their
> Critics, (El Cajon: Institute for Creation Research, 1993), p. 126-127

Now, these transitional forms can be lined up like:

Original species->transitional form 1,2,3...1,000,000,000->final species

Does each transitional form have one mutation different from the one
previous?

If you say no, then you are saying that a transitional form can be
identical in genetic make up with the original form, which is ludicrous.
How can a transitional form be identical genetically with the original? If
it is identical then it is not a transitional form.

If you say yes, then there are millions of mutations required for a
transition between the species.

Stephen how can you possibly hold such a position?

glenn
Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm