Re: Any Suggestions??

John Tant, N4XAN (jtant@exis.net)
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:27:06 +0100

Stephen,
You gave a nice list. I'd like to suggest one addition. Del
Ratzsch, right here in our group, has written a really good book
entitled _The Battle of Beginnings: Why Neither Side is Winning
the Creation-Evolution Debate_ in which he points out significant
shortcomings in the argumentation on both sides. It is well
worth the time to read for several reasons. I'll give two. First,
he spends some time developing the history of the problem and gives
an opportunity to examine the historical definitions of science
itself. Everything else, he rightly contends, hangs on that.
Second, his analysis of their argument style shows a significant
quantity of straw men and false analogies used by both camps. I
appreciated this book so much I'm planning to use it in my senior
level high school science class next year.

jbt

-- ******************************************************************** John B. Tant    http://wwwp.exis.net/~jtant      jtant@exis.net **                                                                 **                  Alan Keyes for President `96!                  **                http://sandh.com/keyes/index.html                **                                                                 **       The opinions I express are my own, not my employer's      **        http://pages.prodigy.com/VA/n4xan/stonebridge.html       ********************************************************************