RE: rapid evolution

John E. Rylander (rylander@sparc.isl.net)
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:15:57 -0500

Paul,

Thanks a lot for your input on this.

Since you apparently know a lot more about this than I do (believe me, =
no big compliment! :^> ), mind if I ask a couple follow-up questions? =
(Note I do not wait for a reply!)

(1) Is the identity being claimed a base-pair-level identity, or =
something broader? (I take it the former -- how else would one read =
"human polypeptide"-- but I just want to be sure.)

(2) Given that I'm a bit disappointed that these estimates are =
apparently somewhat rough (which would account for the variety of =
precise numbers I've heard, 95-99%, usually 98 or 99%), have there been =
any representative (or random), small-scale base-pair comparisons to =
confirm or disconfirm the general reliability of the extrapolation? If =
so, what are the results of such tests?

(3) Is there a strong consensus in the scientific community that these =
estimates are very reliable? If so, is this confidence the result of =
strong conviction that the methodology is sound (realistic/alethic =
conviction), or simple a result of there being no competing, clearly =
superior method of estimating (pragmatic conviction)?

If you have both the time and interest (I guess I'm -assuming- you have =
the knowledge :^> ), I'd appreciate your sharing that with the rest of =
us.

Thanks, Paul!

--John Rylander